- Nur Y. Smits
Week 2 on setting up a Pro Bono Therapy service.
Resigning from a workplace to find where I need to be to help others.
This week, I resigned from a company. Had to think a lot about this step! But it’s not just about making a salary, it’s about making an impact.
To help others, I had to firstly find a place where I could go as far as the horizon allows me to find the best solutions. To try, to test, and try again until the best solution is found.
Honestly when I resigned, I went from a high feeling of “Yes! I am going to follow my dreams. We are going to do Pro Bono Therapy!”
Then I went to a low feeling of “Hmmm… I can’t eat stones so I do have to find income still..”
Now I am at “You did what you have to do! Let’s do it!”
About finding income, that can be replaced. Not saying it will be easy but it is possible as long as I am open to the opportunities out there but what is HARD to find IS A JOB THAT INSPIRES YOU TO BE THE BEST THAT YOU CAN BE.
I told myself “ IF YOU CAN’T FIND INSPIRATION AT WHERE YOU ARE AT, BE YOUR OWN INSPIRATION. DO WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN TO GROW AS THE BEST PERSON YOU CAN BE.”
And if you are looking for a job, it’s not just about what the job requires from you but also what you require from the job.
For me, my requirements are below for any company if they want to hire a therapist like me who will push the boundaries to provide the best services.
My requirements are:
1) The company makes therapy affordable for the low income families too.
2) The company practise interventions that are evidence based.
3) The company empowers the family members and others such as teachers whom work with the child.
4) The company advocates for the inclusion of children with disabilities in the society.
5) The company know you are hiring this therapist who will make a hard life for you because I will challenge you to aim for the best of the best in helping the children.
If my requirements do not suit the company, please do not contact me. It’s not about the money, it’s about where the passion is. I am happy doing what needs to be done to help as many as I can.
For aspiring change makers out there, remember the lessons from this week:
1) We must allow ourselves to try. And if something doesn’t work, learn from it to make it work better.
2) If you can’t find inspiration at where you are at, be your own inspiration.
3) Do what you believe in to grow as the best person you can be NOT what others want to mould you to be.
Wipe those tears, and we strive on!